A drizzle of rich, nutty, brown butter blended with a splash of balsamic vinegar is a simple way to enhance the flavor of tender, freshly steamed asparagus.
Brown butter, or beurre noisette in French, is simply butter that's been heated until the milk solids it contains start to caramelize. It's easy to make and can serve as a simple sauce for vegetables, meats, and fish.
The nutty flavor of brown butter already pairs really well with asparagus, but adding a splash of balsamic vinegar balances the richness and brings out the vegetable's natural sweetness.
How To Make Brown Butter
Making brown butter only takes a few minutes and it's easy to do as long as you don't leave it unattended.
We recommend using a stainless steel pan because it makes it easy to monitor the butter as it changes color.
To prepare brown butter, simply melt the butter over medium-high heat until it begins to foam.
Stir or swirl the pan from time to time and continue cooking until it changes from yellow to gold, to toasty brown, then immediately remove the pan from the heat.
More Brown Butter Recipes:
- Penne with Chicken and Sage Brown Butter
- Egg Noodles with Pumpkin Brown Butter and Sage
- Rainbow Trout Meunière
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 1-inch of water to a boil in the bottom of a pot large enough to hold a steaming rack.
- Arrange the asparagus spears on the rack, sprinkle with a little salt and lower it into the pot.
- Cover and steam for 6 to 9 minutes, or until the thickest part of the spears are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- While the asparagus cooks, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Swirling the pan occasionally, cook until the butter begins to foam. As soon as the color starts to darken, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the balsamic vinegar.
- To serve, plate the steamed asparagus, drizzle with the balsamic brown butter and grind a little black pepper over the top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 163mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 4g