Apricot Orange Almond Slices
Dried apricots and almonds combine for a deliciously rich sliced butter cookie.
These unique, slice-and-bake cookies bake up rich and buttery but not overly sweet. The orange zest adds a great deal of flavor and complements the apricots perfectly. Enjoy them with an espresso or a cup of hot tea.
- 1 cup chopped, dried apricots
- Zest from 1 medium orange, finely grated
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil completely, folding the foil over the top edges of the pan.
- Place the dried apricots in a food processor, pulse until finely chopped, add the orange zest and juice, and transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the processor and add the toasted almonds. Pulse until finely chopped and combine with the apricot mixture.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until blended.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl and gradually add to the butter mixture, beating at a low speed until blended.
- Add the apricot mixture to the dough and knead gently until thoroughly blended.
- Press the dough mixture into the loaf pan, smoothing the top. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Invert the loaf pan on a cutting board and remove the foil. Cut the dough lengthwise into four strips, then slice each strip crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the slices about 1-1/2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies appear set and turn a light golden brown.
- Cool for about 3 minutes on the cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
If you are partial to almond flavor, consider using 1/2 teaspoon each almond and vanilla extracts instead of the full teaspoon of vanilla.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g