Lemon-pepper is a popular ready-made seasoning blend, but the flavor combination tastes even better when you make it fresh. For this side dish we combine angel hair pasta with panko crumbs that have been lightly toasted with garlic, lemon zest, lots of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt. It makes a great accompaniment for a variety of entrees, but we recommend serving with grilled or broiled salmon drizzled with Lemon-Chive Sauce (see recipe notes).Print
Angel Hair with Lemon-Pepper Garlic Crumbs
Angel hair pasta tossed with lightly toasted panko crumbs that have been flavored with garlic, lemon zest and black pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 side dish servings
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for cooking the pasta.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a microwave safe dish, whisk in the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of butter along with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until soft and fragrant, 1 minute. Add the panko crumbs, salt, pepper and lemon zest and continue cooking until lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. Toss with the butter-lemon juice mixture and combine thoroughly. Add the garlic crumbs, reserving a small amount to sprinkle on the top after plating. Serve immediately, topping with more black pepper if desired.
This dish is makes a excellent accompaniment to grilled or broiled salmon topped with Lemon-Chive Sauce. To make the sauce, combine 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with 1/3 cup sour cream (low fat is fine), 1/3 cup chopped chives and 1-1/2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half. Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle over the cooked fish.