Easy Vegetable Recipes For Your Holiday Menu
Simplify your holiday menu planning with our tips for choosing side dishes and collection of easy vegetable recipes, many of which can be made ahead.
How To Choose The Vegetables for Your Holiday Menu
Choosing your main course is the easy part when it comes to planning a holiday menu. Adding side dishes that complement your entree is a little bit more of a challenge.
When choosing vegetable recipes for your holiday menu you'll want to consider three major points; flavor combinations, preparation methods, and family preferences.
Consider the primary flavors in your main dish and choose one or two side dishes with similar characteristics, and one or two with contrasting flavors. For instance:
- Pair our Herb-Roasted Turkey which is seasoned with thyme, rosemary, and sage with the contrasting sweetness of Marmalade-Glazed Carrots.
- Complement the robust flavor of our Garlic and Herb Crusted Pork Roast with the mellow garlic notes in Garlic Braised Green Beans.
- Serve a traditional Prime Rib with a classic comfort food dish like Creamed Spinach.
When planning a holiday meal, there can be a myriad of dishes to prepare. Since you're most likely already using the oven to roast beef, pork, or turkey, a make-ahead, oven-baked vegetable side dish can be a great way to simplify. Consider easy choices like:
- Our Crumb Topped Green Bean Mushroom Bake is a fresh alternative to the old mushroom soup classic.
- Maple-Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon can be made ahead and popped in the oven when your main dish is close to being done.
Consider what your family has enjoyed in the past. If mashed potatoes are a perennial favorite and you want to add variety to your menu, consider a dish extra flavor but similar texture.
- Our Root Vegetable Puree has an earthy sweetness that works great with turkey, ham or pork.
- Riced Cauliflower Gratin is a kid-friendly dish that makes a hit with everyone, even guests who aren't always keen on veggies.
Whatever your holiday meal, all these easy vegetable recipes work well with classic entrees like turkey, roast pork and roast beef and should help make your holiday meal a memorable occasion.