You don't need to be a wine connoisseur or have a wine cellar in your home to keep the right wines on hand for pairing with just about any meal.
If you plan to have about twelve varieties available and re-stock as you use them, you'll always be able to make an appropriate choice to pair with the evening's menu.
12 Essential Wines To Have On Hand For Entertaining
- Pinot Noir is an easy drinking red that pairs well with all sorts of red meat and game and strong flavored fish like salmon.
- Cabernet Sauvignon is a top choice for pairing with all types of beef.
- Chianti is perfect for serving with Italian-style red sauce, whether it be on pasta or pizza.
- Syrah (Shiraz) is a full-bodied red for that pairs nicely with strongly flavored meat, game and sausages.
- Merlot is relatively light-bodied red wine that works nicely with pork and turkey.
- Rosé wine, both dry and off-dry are versatile enough to pair with just about anything you'd care to serve with them
- Chardonnay is an extraordinarily versatile white with a wide range of flavor profiles, can complement almost any poultry or fish dish as well as a variety of cheeses.
- Pinot Grigio (Pinot Gris) is a wine that ranges from dry to sweet, delicious with rich cream sauced pastas and dishes served with white wine sauce.
- Sauvignon Blanc is perfect for matching the acidity in dishes that contain ingredients like tomatoes and lemon, also nice with goat cheese.
- Riesling is a light white wine that ranges from bone dry to sweet, it complements Asian cuisine, pork, duck and smoked fish nicely.
- Gewürztraminer is a spicy aromatic wine that works well with spicy cuisines like Thai and Indian.
- Champagne and Sparkling Wines are wonderful with culinary indulgences like oysters, caviar and truffles in addition to shellfish in cream sauce.