Herbed Eggplant Compote
The delicious eggplant compote complements dishes like simple grilled meats, broiled fish and roasted chicken quite nicely. Because it is served at room temperature, you can make it ahead of time. If you end up refrigerating it, take it out long enough before serving to come up to room temperature. This allows the fragrant flavors of your fresh herbs to fully develop.
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1-inch thick strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade of fresh basil
Pre-heat your oven to 425°F.
Mix the rice vinegar and oil in a medium bowl, add the sliced shallots, toss and set aside.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the eggplant in a single layer. Brush with a little vegetable oil and sprinkle with the cumin, coriander, salt and freshly ground pepper. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, or until eggplant is softened and lightly caramelized. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Cut the eggplant strips into 1-inch cubes. Add to the shallot, vinegar and oil mixture. Add the prepared herbs and toss gently to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish.
Makes 4 servings