Dilly Tartar Sauce
A homemade tartar sauce with fresh lemon juice is a delicious accompaniment to breaded fish fillets. I serve this particular combination with Chip-Crusted Oven-Fried Catfish. For a more mildly flavored fish like flounder or tilapia, try substituting fresh parsley for the dill and adding a bit of lemon zest in addition to the juice.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoon dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 or 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (more to taste)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Makes approximately 3/4 cup