Having a couple of simple and versatile fresh salsas in your summer recipe repertoire can add a lot to a meal featuring grilled meats or fish. This recipe, combines fresh pineapple, mint and a little bit of kick courtesy of the jalapeno pepper. Try serving it with grilled pork, chicken, salmon or skewered shrimp.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade of fresh mint
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Toss until the sugar is dissolved, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to blend.
Makes about 1-1/4 cups