A homemade pesto is a great way to use extra fresh herbs if you have them on hand. This is a Southeast Asian-style version using two types of basil, mint, cilantro and fresh ginger that can be used with poultry, fish or shellfish.
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil leaves, loosely packed
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. If necessary, add a little extra oil to adjust the consistency. Store, tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Give this pesto a try in our Asian Pesto Salmon and Warm Orzo Salad or toss with some rice or cellophane noodles and a few chopped scallions and serve with grilled chicken.