Tandoori-Style Chicken Wraps
Tandoori-spiced chicken, fresh cilantro, crunchy carrots and red pepper are combined with mango chutney-yogurt sauce to make a pungent filling for these easy wraps. Serve with an oil and vinegar dressed coleslaw and chips to round out the meal.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (preferably tenderloins or thighs)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, cut into matchstick pieces
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- For the chutney-yogurt sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, drained of excess liquid
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons jarred mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch of salt
Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Add the sesame oil and orange juice and stir to coat the chicken. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and salt. Sprinkle over the chicken and mix well. Set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature.
Combine the yogurt, tomato paste, chutney, orange zest, curry powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and no longer pink in the middle, 4 to 6 minutes.
To serve, spread each tortilla with about 1 tablespoon of sauce. Add a portion of chicken, top with carrots, red bell pepper, scallions and cilantro and roll up.
Makes 4 servings
Season the chicken and make the sauce up to 8 hours ahead of time for more pungent flavors.