Mexican Shrimp Roll
This recipe transforms the concept of a traditional New England-Style Lobster Roll with Mexican-inspired seasonings and ingredients. It's made with pan-seared shrimp, avocado-cilantro mayonnaise, jalapeño peppers, tomatoes and scallions and served on a toasted hot dog bun with tortilla chips and coleslaw on the side.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 4 hot dog buns
- For the avocado-cilantro mayonnaise:
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, mashed
- 1 small clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Combine the shrimp, 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, a pinch of salt and a little black pepper in a bowl. Toss the mixture to coat the shrimp well and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
Next, prepare the avocado-cilantro mayonnaise by combining the avocado, garlic, lime juice and mayonnaise in a bowl. Mash with a fork until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the cilantro. Cover and set aside.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes per side, just until opaque throughout. Transfer to a cutting board, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
Add the shrimp to the avocado mayonnaise along with the tomatoes, jalapeños and scallions. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Lightly butter the hot dog buns and arrange them, buttered side up on a small baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide the shrimp mixture between the four hot dog buns and serve with tortilla chips and coleslaw if desired.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection