Spicy Pork and Napa Cabbage Salad
This main-dish salad is made with fresh spinach, crisp Napa cabbage and red bell pepper, tossed with an easy homemade ginger dressing. Topped with tender cubes of stir-fried pork that have been seasoned with spicy sriracha, ginger and garlic, this flavorful combo makes a terrific choice for a light, low-carb dinner.
- 1 pork tenderloin (3/4 to 1 lb)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon sriracha (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups Napa cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- For the Ginger Dressing:
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
Trim any excess fat and silver skin from the pork, halve lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch thick cubes. Place in a bowl and add the sriracha, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and some freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat and set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Next make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside to allow the flavors to blend.
In a separate bowl, combine the Napa cabbage and red bell pepper. Add 6 tablespoons of the Ginger Dressing and a few grinds of black pepper and toss.
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the pork and stir fry until browned on the outside and barely pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the scallions and cook 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Divide the spinach between 4 salad plates and top each with a portion of the Napa cabbage mixture. Add the pork and drizzle each portion with 1/2 tablespoon of the reserved Ginger Dressing.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection