Grilled Onion Salad
This onion salad is a great way to take advantage of the sweet Vidalia onions that are still fairly plentiful in the market. The tarragon adds a delicate herbal touch to the mustard vinaigrette and topping the greens with the warm onions wilts the lettuce just enough. Grilling onions can be a bit of a challenge, as the rings want to separate when you try to turn them over, so be sure to follow the instructions and slice them 1/2-inch thick.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 - 4 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Leaf lettuce for garnish
Combine the olive oil, mustard, vinegar, parsley, tarragon, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Place the onion slices on a grill directly over hot coals and baste with the oil mixture. Cook until golden and tender, about 10 minutes, turning and basting several times.
Serve on a bed of lettuce dressed with some of the oil mixture. Serves 4 to 6.