Grilled Steak Salad with Horseradish Ranch Dressing
For this easy dinner we grilled a couple of New York strip steaks, sliced them thin and served them atop a bed of crisp romaine, tomatoes, cucumber and sweet onion. The dressing is our homemade Buttermilk Ranch spiced up with a dollop of horseradish to complement the beef. Serve with garlic toast to complete the meal.
- 1 to 1-1/4 lbs New York strip steaks
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 thin slices sweet onion
- For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a high heat. Rub the steaks on both sides with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
While the grill preheats, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, oil and horseradish together until smooth. Stir in the garlic and chives, season to taste with black pepper and set aside.
Arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onion slices on four serving plates.
Grill the steaks to the desired doneness and allow them to rest for 7 to 10 minutes. Slice them thinly across the grain and divide between the salads. Drizzle with a little dressing and pass the rest at the table.
Makes 4 servings
This is an original recipe created & tested by the editors of MyGourmetConnection