This simply dressed salad makes a delicious accompaniment to broiled or grilled meat, poultry or fish. The tart citrus flavors of lime and orange complement the buttery avocado and sweet grape tomatoes perfectly. We like to add a little bit of heat, either from Tabasco or a chopped jalapeño, but even without it the flavor is terrific.
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce or 1 finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
Combine the tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, olive oil, lime juice and orange juice in a large bowl. Add the cubed avocado and hot sauce and toss gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings