Sausage-Spinach French Bread Pizza w/Wisconsin Mozzarella
Layers of meat, veggies and milky, fresh mozzarella cheese from Wisconsin make this homemade French bread pizza the perfect snack for game day, or any time you're looking for a simple appetizer that's sure to please your friends and family.
- 1 French baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cups (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes, optional
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) Wisconsin Fresh Mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Aged Provolone or Parmesan, shredded
- 6 tablespoons pizza or marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Slice the top quarter from bread and reserve for another use. Remove bread from bottom, hollowing loaf and leaving 1/2- to 3/4-inch border with crust. Place bread on baking sheet. Brush inside with olive oil and bake 5 minutes, or until edges are golden and bread is slightly dry.
Remove casing from sausage. Heat large skillet, adding a little oil if sausage is very lean, over medium and add sausage, crumbling, and cook until almost browned. Add onions. Cook 4 minutes, until onions soften. Add spinach, in batches if necessary, and cook 2-3 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
Add tomatoes, chile flakes, Mozzarella and Provolone to sausage mixture. Stir well.
Spread bread with pizza sauce. Fill with sausage-cheese mixture. Bake 20 minutes or until ingredients are heated through and cheese melts.
For additional recipes visit: EatWisconsinCheese.com