Sweet 'n Spicy Chicken with Peppers
Boneless, skinless thighs are a favorite choice when you want a tasty chicken dinner that doesn't require a lot of cook time. To make this simple, pungently flavored dish we sautéed some onions, jalapeños and red bell pepper with a fragrant blend of spices, then added some orange juice, soy sauce and honey to make light glaze for the chicken. Perfect served over steamed basmati rice.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the cardamom, ginger, cumin, dry mustard, cinnamon, turmeric and allspice in a small bowl and set aside.
Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the onion, jalapeños and red bell pepper to the pan. Cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute, sprinkle with the spice blend and cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes longer. Deglaze the pan with the water, scraping up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pan.
Add the orange juice, honey and soy sauce and cook for another minute, stirring to combine. Return the chicken to the pan and cook, turning frequently, until coated with sauce and no longer pink in the middle, 3 minutes. Serve over steamed basmati rice.
Makes 4 servings