Rotini with Turkey Sausage, Peppers and Tomatoes
Italian sausage, combined with bell peppers and tomato sauce is a popular topping for pasta. We lightened up this standard combo and changed the flavors just a little by using sweet Italian turkey sausage, a medley of bell peppers, diced tomatoes in their natural juices and a touch of sour cream. The sour cream blends with the tomato juices to create a sauce that coats the pasta nicely but keeps the dish light..
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from the casings
- 10 ounces rotini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is fine)
- Romano cheese for grating
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat and add the sausage. Sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, breaking up the sausage with a spatula as it cooks. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peppers and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the peppers are slightly softened, about 3 minutes additional.
Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and return the sausage to the pan. Combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the pasta is ready.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
Stir the sour cream into the sausage mixture and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add the pasta and combine thoroughly.
Plate individual servings and top with grated Romano cheese.
Makes 4 servings
We liked the colorful combination of green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, but any combination you like would work.