Eggplant and Ricotta Pizza
This recipe combines a ricotta-parmesan cheese mixture, roasted eggplant, loads of fresh basil, sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella to make a deliciously rich, meatless pizza.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb pizza dough (enough to make a 14-inch pizza)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 to 8 large basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange them in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and just starting to brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Combine the ricotta cheese, garlic, basil and parmesan in a small bowl and set aside.
Roll and/or stretch the pizza dough to fit a pizza pan or baking sheet. Brush lightly with oil, then cover with slices of roasted eggplant. Spread the ricotta mixture over the eggplant, then add a layer of tomatoes. Next add the basil leaves, then scatter the mozzarella cubes on top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the mozzarella is melted and bubbly.
Makes 4 servings