Shrimp with Curried Tomato Sauce
This fragrant shrimp dish gets its flavor from a combination of curry powder, cayenne, fresh ginger, garlic and a bit of orange juice for sweetness. A pat of butter is added just before serving to add some richness and a smooth texture. Serve over steamed basmati or brown rice.
- 1-1/4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steamed basmati rice (about 3 cups)
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Prepare the sauce by combining the ketchup, orange juice, lemon juice, water, curry powder and cayenne in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to turn opaque around the edges. Add the sauce and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes longer, until the shrimp are opaque all the way through.
Add the butter and scallions, combine well and cook until the butter is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in the cilantro and spoon the shrimp mixture over steamed basmati rice.
Makes 4 servings