Scallion-Crusted Catfish With Mango Salsa
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Mango Salsa (recipe follows)
Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Combine the bread crumbs, panko crumbs, salt, pepper and minced scallions. Spread the crumb mixture on a large plate or piece of waxed paper.
Beat together the egg and milk in a pie plate. Coat both sides of each fish fillet with the egg mixture and drain any excess. Dredge them in the crumb mixture and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the fillets with a bit of the melted butter and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily. Watch carefully, as times may vary depending on the thickness of your fish. Serve with Mango Salsa.
- Spiced Mango Salsa
- 2 or 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup sweet onion (we used Vidalia), finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the mangoes, onion, jalapeñ:o, ginger, lime zest and juice, sriracha and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and adjust the heat with sriracha if desired. Set aside until ready to serve.