Spiced Hot Cocoa Mix
Homemade hot cocoa is a delicious dessert alternative that will satisfy a sweet tooth on a cold winter night, and you probably have all the necessary ingredients on hand in the pantry. We've added a little bit of spice to this recipe for extra flavor and included a few serving suggestions too.
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
Whisk all the dry ingredients together with the water. Once the cocoa is thoroughly blended, heat to desired drinking temperature either in the microwave or on top of the stove.
Note: You can always use 3/4 cup of milk in place of the water and dry milk if you plan to drink the cocoa right away.
Makes 1 serving
- Serve hot cocoa with a candy cane swizzle stick
- Float some marshmallows or whipped cream and grate some dark chocolate over top
- Add a shot of your favorite liqueur ~ Kahlua, Amaretto, Frangelico, etc. (cut the sugar down to 1-1/2 teaspoons)
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little surprise heat
A Gift of Spiced Hot Cocoa Mix:
Hot cocoa mix is an easy and thoughtful homemade gift that can be packaged in a single serving, along with a mug, or made in bulk and placed in a decorative jar.
For 1 six-serving jar of cocoa mix ~
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla powder (optional)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Sift the dry ingredients together to make a fine powder ~ it's more attractive looking.
Note: If you make the mix in bulk, you'll need 1/2 cup of mix combined with 3/4 cup lukewarm water per serving.