Lemon-Ginger Berry Dessert
This is a relatively guilt-free summer dessert that capitalizes on the delicious fresh berries available at this time of year. When summer fruits are abundant, I do my best to utilize them in desserts that don't add too much in the way of sugar and fat so that I'm not cancelling out all the nutritional benefits the fruits have to offer.
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 16 oz. strawberries, washed, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon frozen lemonade concentrate, divided
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped fine
Place the prepared berries in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of the frozen lemonade concentrate. Toss to combine and set aside at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the berries to give off some of their natural juices.
In a small bowl, mix the plain yogurt with the remaining lemonade concentrate. Chop the crystallized ginger and mix 1 tablespoon into the yogurt, reserving the rest for garnish.
To serve, spoon the berries into six serving dishes. Top with a small dollop of the yogurt and garnish with the remaining crystallized ginger.
Makes 6 servings