Simple Corn Bread
This recipe for corn bread is so easy it makes no sense to buy a mix. You can vary the ratio of corn meal to flour, as long as you stay at two cups total. More flour, less corn meal will give you a more cake-like consistency ~ more corn meal, less flour will yield a crumbly texture.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups plain yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons honey (see recipe notes)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
Combine the flour, corn meal, honey, baking powder and salt. Stir in the milk, oil and egg. Mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Cool in the pan.
Makes 9 servings.
For Corn Bread Stuffing: If you are planning to use this recipe in a corn bread stuffing, either omit the honey entirely, or cut back to 1 tablespoon.
It's easy to add extra ingredients to basic cornbread. Fold dry additions into the finished batter after mixing. Mix wet additions into the egg-oil mixture before mixing.
- Possible Additions:
- Roasted jalapeno peppers, 1 or 2, peeled and diced
- Corn kernels, up to 1 cup, frozen or fresh
- Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, up to 1 cup, grated
- Cooked bacon or diced ham, up to 1/2 cup
- Sautéed onions, up to 1 cup