These tender, juicy chicken wings are marinated in a pungent blend of tequila, fresh lime juice and garlic, then shallow fried, glazed and served with our Tangy Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (recipe included).
- 1-1/2 lbs chicken wings,
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Tangy Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (see recipe below)
Trim the wing tips and discard, then separate the wings into two pieces, cutting through the joint. Combine the tequila and lime juice in a glass measure. Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil, jalapeno pepper sauce and garlic. Place the chicken wings in a shallow dish or heavy zip-top bag and cover with the marinade. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, turning once.
Heat about 1/8-inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the wings and cook, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate, add a little more oil and repeat with the remaining wings. Wipe out the pan and add the leftover marinade. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened to a glaze consistency (for safety reasons, cook for a minimum of 5 minutes). Return the wings to the pan, turn to coat with glaze and serve.
Makes 18 to 20 pieces
- Tangy Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon jalapeno pepper sauce
Combine all ingredients and chill for at least an hour.