Make Your Own "Instant" Oatmeal
Place 1/2 cup quick cooking oats in a serving bowl. Add 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and 6 ounces of milk.
Stir and microwave for 1 minute on 80% power. Add your choice of mix-ins (see below), stir and return to the microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes longer.
Stir again and allow to stand for about a minute. Add a little extra milk if desired.
Note: Microwave cooking times vary by wattage. You may need to experiment to find what works best with your own microwave.
Mix-Ins (amounts per serving):
Try one or more of the following for added flavor:
- 1/2 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 banana, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 3 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon walnuts or pecans, chopped